Wednesday, November 25, 2009

dogging my steps


In case anyone wonders where the phrase "dogging her steps" comes from, let me assure you, it is simply very very descriptive. Before Mary left for college, Shelby would follow me around in the morning, wagging his tail and dogging my steps a bit until I took him for a walk. Then he would spend most of the rest of the day sleeping in Mary's room.

Now he follows me up down and in out of every single room every single time I change locations--which is quite frequently!! He pulls himself out of a dead sleep if I decide to go downstairs or upstairs. And usually I have to retrace my steps several times, retrieving a cell phone, a coupon, a dirty dish, a book, and Shelby dear is with me every step of the way. I hardly need to walk him anymore, since he gets plenty of exercise all day long. He is getting old, about 15, and has some arthritis, so it is very sad watching the poor dear gather himself together to descend and ascend the stairs a bit haltingly, one at a time. I have taken to closing my bedroom door, leaving him inside, that way he can't follow me.

He used to sleep in Eliz's room, but then she left; he moved to Mary's room and now she has left. And Stephen is an inconsistent visitor. Who can blame the poor old mutt for being a little paranoid? I'm starting to feel that way myself. :)

1 comment: