Friday, November 20, 2009

twilight reply




I wrote such a long reply on Allysha's blog about Twilight that I thought I would post it here (slightly expanded) since Mary and Eliz probably won't read it there, and they might find it interesting.

Enjoyed your comments about Twilight. I didn't realize until you mentioned it that I didn't like the fourth book either. (Though that was the book where I saw the most Mormon theology-- I haven't read any reviews of the similarities.) But I think I let myself live with the characters less critically, so I didn't hate them--just some of the plot. Since I find many of the characters rather swoon-worthy, I didn't blame them for any foibles of the plot. :)

Also, I am still ever-so-impressed that a young mother of three who had never written even so much as a short story did such an amazing job. That woman certainly does not lack for plot ideas. It could be her blessing and curse. A little more development of the twists and turns would have been better. The book--till book 4--moved through numerous plot intricacies at break neck speed. (No pun intended.)

Still I remain very impressed with her. And to think she did not even start out to write a book, much less a blockbuster. The story just poured out of her. I remember having strange fantasies when I was young--fantasy life fades a great deal with age, for better or worse; but I never went out on a limb and tried to write a story. Yet a lot of the best things in my life happened when I took myself out of my comfort zone. I have a huge tendency to "cocoon." What a ride she has had! (Oh and by the way, after the first book, someone else was probably doing the vacuuming--which imho is a great blessing. After a certain amount of vacuuming, you really don't need any further experience with it. )

From today's paper: Edward's bumper sticker: "I can totally be a pain in the neck!"; Jacob's bumper sticker, "My bark is not worse than my bite!" Ha ha! I find the whole hoopla very entertaining. And really who can complain when the whole teenage female world is reading (and watching pg movies) that we can choose to overcome our baser "animal" instincts, love triumphs over all, no sex before marriage is a possibility, babies are wonderful and a "must have" even for vampires, and although parents are quirky and flawed you can still love them and want to be in relationship with them. Yes, yes, I know the nuances of reality are missing, and the books would have been better with them, and real love is not like Twilight love. But still, a few–too many–smoldering eyes evoke a smile in addition to the eye roll; and probably most of us have experienced similar heart-racing moments that, usually, came to nothing--or perhaps matured into something.

I'll be going to see the movie, but I'll wait till Mary comes home for Christmas, otherwise I would be in line with her for the first showing. She will have seen it when she gets here, but will want to see it again.

PS: I do smirk a bit when I picture the BYU English Department profs being a tad stunned and horrified at the same time. But I suspect they will eventually invite her back for a lecture or two.

PSS: I tried to get those pics to load as a "large" file, but they wouldn't! You'll have to get your own poster. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment