Saturday, January 21, 2012

Decorating Trends




So, I was out an about getting things for birthdays and such and decided to check out what decorating trends were happening. I find one of the best ways to see what colors are hot is to check out upholstery fabric, other ways include looking in magazines, home stores, hgtv etc.

I was curious to see if teal and aqua still had the country by storm, and yes, indeed they do--which is fine by me, because I think aqua is about the perfect color. Also the compatible tangerines and oranges are still hot. Variations of lime green have been around for a long time and still are. Grey is outpacing browns. Pink and purple variations are trying to sneak in, but I have a hard time appreciating purple as anything but an accent color. So basically not a lot of new things. Red was the only real surprise, which seems to be making a stand. But of course red goes good with grey, so makes sense I guess.  White cabinets are in and of course mosaic backsplashes are a must. Gold finishes are so yesterday! Chrome and silver are cool. Stainless appliances still rule. Modern lines are in, but usually paired with a bit more traditional stuff. And curtains with large grommets instead of tabs--a definite must have.

A year or so ago when I was on an hgtv jag (I go in stages--watch it for two weeks, then totally forget about it for a couple months, then back to it again. I usually go back to it when I am cleaning the kitchen and am totally sick of ALL the news channels.) At any rate, at one point a year or so ago, I never saw a single design created on hgtv whether bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, or living room, that did not have aqua walls! They have moved away from the all aqua walls, so maybe it is in decline. But not a very steep one. I imagine in another twenty or so years they will be painting over all those "Early 21st Century" aqua walls.

By the way, Target still has the best cotton comforters. (Sheets and comforters are on clearance at Target, btw.) Why am I always looking at comforters? I don't know. The one on my bed I got from a garage sale for $10--it is 100% cotton from Pottery Barn.

If I missed some obvious trends, please tell me. I'm planning on repainting our bonus room--maybe a tan or brown, though olive green is cool. Ideas? The trim board in the room is a medium dark brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment