Saturday, January 28, 2012

Book List part II





Book List part II

When Helping Hurts: How to alleviate poverty without hurting the poor and yourself by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert. I probably read this book in 2010, but who knows. I think I taught it in SS in 2011 plus I got to hear a seminar by one of the authors, Steve Corbett—an interesting and genuine guy. So basically I read it again. This is a definite recommend.

I found so much of this very very valuable that I will mostly just recommend it to you. I will mention the beauty of the asset based approach vs the needs based approach to solving poverty. Instead of going to a person or community and asking what is needed, you ask what are the assets here that can be developed. Really a key difference in empowering people or enabling. “What is right with you? What gifts has God given you that you can use to improve your life and that of your neighbors?” Also the authors take great pains to explain why Jesus came to earth, which gets quite confused in many conservative Christian’s minds. (Keep this asset approach in mind as you make New Year's resolutions.)

The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us? The Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World by Richard Stearns. I can’t find my copy of the book, so I’ll just paste the blurb from Amazon. I will say reading Stern’s autobiography intertwined with the mission of World Vision was fascinating. Definitively recommend it. (This book has a similar philosophy to When Helping Hurts.) I wish I had the book to paste in some of my favorite quotes. When I find it, I will come back and edit! And now, from Amazon:

Stearns, the CEO of World Vision, says Christians have a huge hole in their lives, an emptiness that comes from ignoring the plight of the poor. He details his own quest to fill this hole by leaving Lenox Inc., where he was CEO, to run a not-for-profit that helps feed, clothe, and educate children worldwide. Unlike many evangelical Christians, Stearns believes poverty is explained by something more than choices, and lifting cultures from the systemic causes of poverty requires a multi-pronged approach. This accessible book will make it into the hands of evangelical Christians who may not pick up one of the many ABA books on issues of hunger, access to clean water, malaria and AIDS. Readers of Rick Warren, Jim Wallis and N.T. Wright will find Stearns synthesizing thoughts from them as well as from economists and missionaries. This is a passionate and motivating magnum opus from the leader of one of the most recognized aid organizations in the world. The book is a surprisingly no-holds-barred prophetic voice in the wilderness crying out to rich Americans, "Repent and help your world neighbors."

The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. This is such an interesting book!! Definitely recommend it. Of course the part about athletes and January birthdays was particularly interesting to me because Russ and Mary have January birthdays and both got beaucoup scholarship offers. The gift and the drive have to be there—still the birthday is an interesting factor. But really the whole thing about where, when, and how people grow up, who becomes successful and who doesn’t is really really interesting. From Bill Gates to the Beatles and the 10,000 hours of practice, to the frightening crashes of Korean Air, it’s a fascinating book.

(Yes, I am aware that very very and really really are not good stylistic choices. And that the overuse of words like interesting and fascinating eventually have a net negative effect. USUALLY. (And that usually all caps is a no no).

Mountains Beyond Mountains and Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder. Since everyone who had any interest has already read Mountains Beyond Mountains, the book about Paul Farmer’s amazing life and mission, I will just say that Strength in What Remains (a beautiful title, and you realize how fitting it is at the end of the book) is the amazing journey of a young man from Burundi who miraculously survives the massacres and makes it to the underbelly of New York City; he miraculously survives that eye-opening experience as well. A must read! ;)

Reviewing all these great books, makes me want to read them all over again!

Book List Part III coming soon.


pics: Mantua in October

No comments:

Post a Comment