Friday, February 4, 2011

Happy II



I was feeling quite so completely happy that I thought I would blog about it. But then knowing how things change quickly, I worried that I might bring myself a bit of bad luck by crowing about happiness. I came home that day and found my daily email meditation was about happiness. So today I thought I would go back to that meditation and paste it here.

But try as I might, I cannot find it. Maybe I dreamed it. At any rate it was something about falling through happiness (maybe happy circumstances) and coming through on the other side of circumstance to find that one is happy even without the right situations. I don't think I have quite fallen through the falling through to that point. I'm still driven by circumstances. I have a general sense of peace and happiness, but that is not really the same as a bubbling up of happiness. (Do you remember the happy vs joy SS lessons? That's not what I'm talking about.)

Daffodils are happy. I was thinking of Wordsworth's lines about daffodils and ee cummings. So here is a poem, in lieu of the happy meditation:

in time of daffodils by E. E. Cummings
in time of daffodils (who know
the goal of living is to grow)
forgetting why, remember how

in time of lilacs who proclaim
the aim of waking is to dream,
remember so (forgetting seem)

in time of roses (who amaze
our now and here with paradise)
forgetting if, remember yes

in time of all sweet things beyond
whatever mind may comprehend,
remember seek (forgetting find)

and in a mystery to be
(when time from time shall set us free)
forgetting me, remember me

3 comments:

  1. That was a "happy" post! Thanks. I'm reading a book by M. Catherine Thomas and she says something in there about driving along a beautiful, tree-lined road in Argentina and realizing that the trees were all happy. And, speaking of happy, I hope you had a "Happy Birthday" yesterday. I tried to call, actually I did call, but didn't get through. I hope your day was wonderful just by the fact that it was the day you were born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I missed many a birthday call yesterday, but I am not unhappy about it! ;) I had lunch with friends and tomorrow, Sunday, is the fam party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Sybil is happy, happy too am I.

    ReplyDelete