Monday, October 26, 2009

rock star professors



















When Russel (my husband) returned from Harvard, after accompanying my daughter through knee surgery, he brought some copies of The Harvard Crimson. It was there that I discovered that Mary had one of the rock star professors of Harvard: Greg Mankiw, professor of economics and author of the popular Principles of Economics (catchy title). He was also the chair of the Council of Economic Advisors to the Bush White House from 2003-2005. I discovered Mankiw has a blog on blogger.com, so I checked it out. There I found a link to the SNL spoof on Obama's presidency which was quite hilarious--though untrue and unfair. Here's the link to the blog: http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2008/11/cost-differences.html

Just scroll down to find the snl sketch (October 18th blog) followed by a rebuttal from Princeton economist Alan Blinder (great name for an economist). And here's the link to CNN fact checker review of the SNL sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7x-dzXVcOw.

You may want to know that at one point Amazon.com sold an "I love Greg Mankiw" t shirt and that he had a Facebook profile until he reached the maximum number of friends--5,000 and closed it down.

So with such ringing endorsements, I was delighted to go to Harvard's Freshman Parent's weekend and attend the lecture by Mankiw. I was impressed, and even understood a great deal of the lecture. I plan on getting a book he mentioned called The Myth of the Rational Voter: Why Democracies Choose Bad Policies by Bryan Caplan. When Mankiw was advisor in the Bush administration, he told us at the lecture, he suggested to Bush the importance of a gasoline tax. Bush told him that it was a wacky idea. (The US has an extremely low gas tax: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C07E0DC1230F93BA35753C1A9609C8B63. By the way, for any of you believers in "there is no global warming, there is no global warming, there is no global warming" mantra, only 6 cents of a $2.00 tax, for example, would go toward global warming issues.)

Also, on his latest blog he shows an interesting graph that perhaps accounts for some of the U.S automakers' troubles: (Pic is at top of post for some reason.)

I had a mahvelous time at Hahvad.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Sybil,

    Great name and your first post was scintillating! keep it up. I'm so glad you have a blog. I'll send your address out to Lincoln, Allysha etc. They'll all be interested. I must say I am a little bit jealous of your Harvard weekend. I would love to come along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogosphere, Sybil. It will be fun to read what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wondering if you were a blogger or not! Awesome.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harvard sounds great! I am sure the lectures were quite interesting and that the two of you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Te he he he! Or shall I say welcome MWAH Ah Ah Ah to the blogging world! I hope Mary is healing quickly. I love the Harvard campus (although the campus is beautiful, it is so much more so with Mary there), I am so glad you had a wonderful time. This global warming disbeliever appreciated the info ;-) Happy blogging and happy autumn

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI: it took me a bit of time to realize when blogspot loads pictures, the first picture is at the bottom and load bottom to top. You can reorder them by cutting and pasting the picture's info where you would like it.

    ReplyDelete